Best Down Jackets 2018: In a cold place, it’s very obvious for you to be exposed to extreme conditions that come with living in such place. There are a lot of things that go into a winter gear, but the one most important item that you must have in your closet is a reliable down jacket. When it comes to keeping warm, these best down jackets can be lifesavers. A good jacket will insulate your body and protect you from all elements that one comes across in a cold place and all the while looking stylish. All you need to do now is get yourself one, and you can’t go wrong if you choose one of the best down jackets 2018 listed down below.
|Best Down Jackets 2018||Unique Features||Editor's Rating||Buy Now|
|good looking and fits well onto the body||Buy Now|
|lightweight and incredibly warm||Buy Now|
|good compressibility and comfortability||Buy Now|
|weather friendly||Buy Now|
|media compatibility||Buy Now|
|non-slippery clothing materials||Buy Now|
|well fitted||Buy Now|
|Stylish and well designed/crafted||Buy Now|
|light, warm and without bulk||Buy Now|
|easy to carry||Buy Now|
|Features hand pockets||Buy Now|
|Excellent water resistant||Buy Now|
|Lightweight design||Buy Now|
Are You a Fit: Who Should Use Best Down Jackets?
Traveling or hiking to a cold weather place? The first decision that you should take when planning is to get yourself a jacket to keep yourself warm with. You will need to decide whether you want to go for lightweight down jackets of a synthetic one. You will need to come to decision-based on your assessment of warmth, weight, water resistance, compressibility, style, and other features. To answer the question of who should use best down jackets, we would say anyone who’s aiming for a light, warm and good compressibility.
10+3 Best Down Jackets 2018 for Men & Women (A Wishlist Worthy List)
Here we are putting together a selection of the best down jackets 2018. You’ll find something that suits you, and in case we have managed to miss somehow a budget down jacket that you have found very valuable, let us know in the comment section.
Outdoor Research Transcendent Down Sweater
Outdoor Research is one of the best hiking/skiing gear makers in the market right now. Founded back in 1980 by Ron Gregg, a physicist and dedicated mountaineer who went on to revolutionized standards in the outdoor industry. Over the last two decades the lead innovations in a number of fields. Having made groundbreaking products from waterproof stuff sack to softshell gloves, Outdoor Research has expanded their reach with their horizon and came up with some of the best waterproof down jackets.
Outdoor Research Transcendent Sweater tops our list of best down jackets 2018 and good reasons too. It’s incredible light weighted and warmed that promises to keep you comfortable when the temperatures drop. The down jacket offers impressive compressibility so that you can pack it up in your bag without taking too much of space. It’s a high quality down jacket that comes with a 650 down fill insulation while you go out to enjoy the view.
Some of the features that helped Outdoor Research Transcendent Sweater grab the number one spot are Zippered Napoleon Pocket, Drawcord Hem, Stretch Binding at Cuffs, Left Hand Pocket Doubles as Stuff Sack, Brushed-Tricot-Lined Collar, Internal Front-Zip Stormflap. Like we mentioned, it’s breathable and light weighted. The down jacket comes in nine vibrant colors – Bengal/Diablo, Black, Dusk/Night, Earth/Cafe, Evergreen/Hops, Glacier, Pewter/Lemongrass, Redwood/Charcoal, and Tahoe/Baltic.
- The jacket is good looking and fits well onto the body, unlike most of the jackets that came across as puffy and big, unable to retain warmth.
- We like the smart placement of pockets that make it easy to place smartphone or IDs for easy access. The warmth to weight ratio really is perfect.
- We found out that the jacket is warm enough when you are active but if you have plans to sit down outdoor, then you better look at some of the other options on our list.
- Fabric Performance: Water-Resistant, Wind-Resistant, Lightweight
- Design Features: Zip Chest Pocket, Zip Hand Pockets, Right-Hand Pocket Doubles as Stuff Sack, Internal Front Stormflap, Carabiner Loop, Brushed Tricot-Lined Collar, Brushed Tricot Back of Hand Inside Pockets, Key Clip
Patagonia Down Jacket for Men
Patagonia was founded in 1953 by a 14-year-older called Yvon Chouinard. Fast forward to 20 years, Chouinard Equipment had become the largest suppliers of climbing hardware in the United States of America, and now Patagonia is a legendary company. Known for their high-quality product, Patagonia claims to have never “knowingly make a mediocre product.” As an environmentally conscious company, they say that they “cannot avert our eyes from the harm done, by all of us, to our one and only home.” That said makes excellent down jackets, and one of it was bound to make it to any list of top ten best down jackets.
Patagonia’s Down Sweater Jackets are not just superbly compressible, its featherweight. Comes with a 100% polyester ripstop shell, the down jacket is tear-resistant, snow shedding along with being windproof. With 800-fill-power, the Patagonia Men’s Down Jackets is one of the cheapest down jackets on our list.
It offers 2 zippered hand pockets, quilted-through construction, and a drawcord hem that tightens the piece of cloth from inside. Besides there is an interior chest pocket that doubles as a stuff sack with a carabiner clip-in loop, and it’s zippered.
Like Outdoor Research Sweater, Patagonia Down Sweater Jacket comes in nine vibrant colors for you to choose from. Those colors are Peppergrass Green, Feather Grey/Forge Grey, Black, Deep Sea Blue, Black/Black, Navy Blue, Underwater Blue, and French Reds.
- It usually hard to imagine that something so light could be so incredibly warm; so if you are planning to do a lot of outdoor activities, the jacket could be too hot to handle.
- Strategically placed pockets make it accessible which is very useful when you are hiking up in the mountain.
- The down jacket has got a funny fit. We found it a bit too long and a bit narrow. It could have been because it was previous year’s model.
Mountain Hardwear Nitrous Down Jacket
The California-based company was founded back in 1993; known for manufacturing high-tech outdoor clothes and gear including backpacks, tents, sleeping bags, and gloves. Although the company was purchased by Mountain Hardwear in 2003, they have managed to retain their position of being one of the best outdoor gear producers in the world. The company has been a sponsor of several athletes over the last few years including biggies like Andrew Lock, Erik Weihenmayer, Ethan Pringle, Jake Meyer, Kenton Cool, Ueli Steck, et al.
Mountain Hardwear’s Nitrous Down Jacket is one of the warmest down coat that we have come across. Available in four solid colors – black, dark compass, python green, and stone green (which we tested), it’s an 800-fill down jacket.
It’s a non-hooded jacket that sports high warmth to weight ratio with Q. Shield. Made of 100% nylon, the down sweater offers two front hands warmer pockets; dual hem drawcords seal in warmth, along with zippered hand pockets and one zippered chest pocket.
- We found the jacket to be comfortable and light, with enough compressibility to squeeze it into backpacks.
- One of the best things about this particular down sweater is that we received the exact color we orders, unlike most products that you buy online.
- The size is weird. The size is bigger than what you order; so if you are tall, go for medium size, it’ll fit you perfectly, but not everyone is comfortable with over an oversized down sweater.
- Nikwax Hydrophobic Down 800-fill resists moisture and retains maximum loft.
- Incredibly light and packable.
- 22D Sensor Ripstop fabric is reinforced to prevent tearing and ripping.
- Parka length for extra coverage and warmth.
Columbia Platinum Turbo Down Jacket
Columbia Sportswear Company has been making outdoor gears for the last 70 years. This global sportswear company is based in Portland, Oregon. The products kept you warm, dry, cool and protected all weather condition. Over the last couple of years, the company has experienced many ups and downs but has managed to established reputation because of the fact they enjoy outdoors adventures which are integral to the success of their products and the company as a whole.
As for Columbia Platinum Down Jacket, it is one of the best down jackets we have come across owing to its thinness and lightweight. It comes with Omni-Heat reflective lining, 860 Turbo Down insulation with binding at the collar and cuff. Made of water-resistant fabric, the down jacket comes in over 10 color options to choose from, and those are backcountry orange, black, bright red, deep water, ever blue, graphite, hyper blue, mountain red, new cinder, rocket, and super blue.
The sweater offers zippered hand pockets and along with drawcord adjustable hem which is great, to say the least. The jacket is durable, and because of its slim frame, the piece of cloth is a great fit. It’s durable and comes with a breast pocket along with inner storage.
- The coat kept up pretty well during the testing period in the harsh weather condition and performed really well.
- It turned out better than we thought and was super warm against cold winds at the hills side when we were testing the down jacket.
- The size is a problem, something we figured out pretty early on when we ordered a size L which turned out to be too large and later M that turned out too small.
- Omni-Heat reflective lining, 860 Turbo Down insulation
- Water resistant fabric
- Binding at collar and cuff
- Zippered hand pockets
- Draw cord adjustable hem
The North Face Thermoball Down Jacket
The American Outdoor is known for specializing in making outdoor equipment like coats, shirts, outerwear, fleece, sleeping bags, backpacks, tents, footwear, etc. The company tends to make products that are useful for amateurs and skilled professionals like college students, skiers, mountaineers, snowboarders, hikers, climbers, etc. Founded back in 1968, The North Face mainly serves in the North and South America, Europe, and Asia-Pacific areas.
Onboard is a 2-way nylon zipper which makes for excellent ventilation options. In order to ensure that all the parts of the enclosed person’s body are equally ventilated, these zips divide the entire thing into the top and bottom ventilation sections. This individual attention to details is what makes this bivouac sack so special.
As for their Thermoball Jacket, it available in fifty plus colors and patterns; the one that we tried and was incredibly impressed was the Asphalt Grey. The down sweater offers versatile mid-weight layer that keeps you protected from the harsh weather conditions in the mountains. We really liked its lofty yet packable design makes it the perfect choice for unpredictable mountain weather choices. We tested the jacket in a wet weather condition, and it performed better than we expected.
Basically, it was the thermoBall insulation is the jacket that provided supreme heat to the wearer even in wet weather condition. Plus the jacket comes with incredible compressibility that allows you to effortlessly compress the jacket into your backpack.
- The piece of cloth sports a Ripstop shell that can withstand rugged terrain along with rough weather conditions to keep you completely warm and safe.
- As we mentioned before the down sweater makes for a light and convenient storage so you can simply pack it away into a pocket of your backpack. It is also one of the best lightweight down jackets in this list.
- Another feature that we really liked about the jacket is that its media compatible and you can easily slide in your iPod, smartphone or other gadgets to listen to on the move.
- It could be a tight fit for anyone with a large chest. If you order a large size, it won’t fit in snuggly. So if you are looking for best down jackets that fit your size then it may not be your first choice.
- Water-resistant, insulated jacket packs into its own hand pocket. Standard Fit. 15D nylon ripstop. Lightweight, durable VISLON center front zip. Covered, secure-zip hand pockets. Internal chest pocket. Internal, elastic-bound cuffs. Hem cinch-cord. Media compatible.
Hawke & Co Down Puffer Jacket II
Founded in 1958, the makers are focused on producing utility textiles and have managed to become leaders in designing and producing outdoor garments. Carefully crafted and designed the products are versatile and encourage exploration. The products and particularly down above mentioned down jackets are the embodiment of the creative spirit and the attention to details that the Hawke & Co puts into what they make. The Co Down Puffer Jacket II is one of the cheapest down jackets on our list (of best down jackets 2018) largely because the makers believe in creating affordable clothing that satisfies and exceeds customers expectations.
Made of Nylon, this particular down jacket comes in over fifteen colors and patterns for you to choose from. The one that we bought in and tested is called Kombu which is basically green. One of the biggest benefits of the down jacket is that it’s very light, warm and packable. It performs well in the wet weather conditions too and for the cost, it’s one of the best down jackets which doesn’t burn a hole in your pocket and also performs really good. As for the size of the down sweater, we’d suggest you size down one size for a good fit. For anyone wanting to sport big and boxy down jacket, go for your regular size.
- We like the non-slippery clothing materials; having used the jacket for several weeks every day, we did not encounter any slips unlike with the ones we have listed above.
- The down jacket keeps warm but not as warm as we had expected, but considering the cost, the product is as good as it gets.
- Channel-quilted zip-front jacket with standing collar and zippered hand pockets
Tommy Hilfiger Down Jacket
Whoever hasn’t heard of Tommy Hilfiger right? The multinational corporation is known for manufacturing and designing upper market apparels and a range of other products like footwear, fragrances, home furnishing, etc. Established back in 1985 by Tommy Hilfiger who remains their chief designer and responsible for seeing the entire creative process, Tommy Hilfiger Corporation has some 1400 free-standing retail stores spread across some 90 countries. In short “Tommy Hilfiger Best Down Jackets” is one of the most searched terms among trekking enthusiasts.
It’s a nice looking jacket that is both light weighted, easy to pack and the great fit to your body. Nearly a week of testing has had us really impressed, but of course, the jacket has its drawbacks that we’ll be discussing below. It comes in some fifteen different colors, and most of them are matted, so it’s great for people who hate shiny sweater. The available color options include black, cross dye charcoal, gold, port, red among others; and the one that we choose to test was Heather Slate.
Some of the other features that the down jackets include side-entry hand pockets and down feather padding with a logo at the left chest and standing collar to help protect your neck from the harsh weather. It also sports a drawstring that helps in quickly packing the jacket.
A fantastic addition to the list of the best budget down jackets 2018.
- It’s a premium quality jacket that offers rich color, excellent material, at a comparatively low price.
- This is probably one of the best fittings down jackets that we have come across while creating this list.
- One drawback that we noticed is that there is a gap on the bottom pocket that makes no sense because anything you keep in there tends to fall out.
- Rib knit storm cuffs with Tommy flag on inside of cuff
- Stand collar with fleece lining for added warmth
- Adjustable draw cords on hood
- Signature Tommy embroidered flag on chest
Arc’Teryx Cerium LT Hooded Down Jacket
The outdoor clothing and sporting goods company were founded back in 1989, and for anyone interested, the name comes from one of the earliest known bird called Archaeopteryx. Headquartered in Canada, the company is responsible for manufacturing skiing, climbing, snowboarding, backpacking and all other hiking-related activities products. The worth of the company and their products can be judged based on the fact that their Arc’teryx LEAF (Law Enforcement and Armed Forces) product line that makes the military and law enforcement clothing products.
Arc’Teryx hooded jacket comes with a ton of colors and design. The one we choose to test is Rigel that comes filled with 850 white geese down. Streamlined and light weighted down sweater, the piece of material works well in both cold and dry conditions. The secret behind the incredible warmth that the down jacket seems to come with is the Strategic placement of synthetic and down insulation, which makes it one of the best down jackets 2018 available in the market.
The Coreloft synthetic insulation is placed along the collar, sleeves, shoulder, and underarms. These are the areas are generally prone to contact moisture and become colder. One of the best down coat for cold weather, the piece of clothing sports an adjustable hem drawcord and low profile down insulated StormHood that largely makes sure the draft stays outside.
- We really like the attention to the craftsmanship which is superior to a lot many others down jackets on our list. The thought put into the attention makes the fabric stronger so that it stands up to your everyday use.
- The down jacket could be a little tight for anyone with a beer belly, but there are a lot of rooms on both the sleeves.
Calvin Klein Classic Packable Down Jacket
The fashion house was founded by Calvin Klein back in 1968. Headquartered in the New York City, the fashion house is currently owned by PVH. Over the last fifty years, the brand has managed to become one of the most revered and popular clothing lines.
Out of the seven color variants, we choose to test midnight and were extremely satisfied with the result, and thus included it in this coveted list of best down jackets of 2018. The down jacket is a premium down that comes with zipping front, open cuffs with soft elastic hem, interior, exterior pockets, and packs into a nylon bag. With chevron cut lines, the jacket fits well while keeping enough space for other clothes underneath. Of course, coming from the house of Calvin Klein the design of the jacket is commendable so much so that we can tell it is the best looking down jacket that we have come across and also amongst our list of top down jackets. The jacket’s shell material is pretty thin and as for the rest of the material, the Calvin Klein down jacket sports which is great, to say the least.
- The piece of clothing is light, warm and without bulk. The colors were vibrant, and the wrists are elasticized along with an adjustable elastic waist cinch to keep the wind out.
- There are two exterior zippered pockets and two inside pockets that help keep things as well as to keep the hands warm.
- The only catch of this down jacket is that it lacks a hood that would’ve made it a lucrative buy.
- Premium down, zip front, open cuffs with soft elastic hem
- Packs into nylon bag, interior and exterior pockets
- 5-7 degree Fahrenheit warmth factor
32 Degrees Weatherproof Packable Down Puffer Jacket
Known for making the most technologically advanced fabrics that are also responsible for bringing all-day comfort at a value price, the 32 Degrees clothing lines are an inspiration. Owned by D.P.I. Imports in New York, the full trademarked brand is ‘Weatherproof 32 degrees’. Founded in 1948, the clothes that they manufacture are known for their comfort and convenience.
It’s one of the best down jackets for cold weather that we have come across while trying to make this list. The Packable Down Puffer Jacket comes in five different colors for you to choose from and the one we tested is Army Green. Here’s what the jacket has to offer – on-seam side-entry pockets, color-matched packable pouch. This packable quilted down puffer jacket comes with standing collar and zip front. It’s ultralight, with minimal weight, superb compressibility and high-loft warmth.
- The jacket is easy to carry as it folds into a detachable pouch and can be used to do a range of activities.
- It’s very lightweight and seems durable and rolls into about the size of a softball which you can put inside a sack.
- The jacket was a little too puffy, and the snug areas were not snug enough. You might want to order a smaller size than what regularly fits you.
- Packable quilted-down puffer jacket with standing collar and zip front
- On-seam side-entry pockets
- Color-matched packable pouch
Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer
The Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer is one of the lightest down jackets available in the market right now. What is really impressive about this jacket is that the company has managed to keep the pockets intact along with fit adjustments in spite of being extremely lightweight. Composed of a layer of 800-fill down, this jacket is also impressive when it comes to beating the cold in freezing temperatures.
Despite being lighter in weight than most of the best down jackets mentioned above, this jacket was quite warm even in sub zero temperatures and this is one aspect that we really liked about it. The premium quality 800-fill down with a hydrophobic coating on top ensures that you stay dry and warm even in wet weather conditions.
The jacket features a low profile quilt pattern to trap body heat more effectively and provides extra warmth in extremely cold weather. This jacket also serves as a great layering combo with other down jackets as it is ultralight and can be worn easily. Available in a variety of color options like blue, purple, red. green, yellow, etc, the Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer would be a great companion to those looking for a lightweight option for short hiking trips.
- Features hand pockets, a full length front zipper and a hoody in spite of being extremely light in weight.
- Quite warm even in sub-zero temperatures and the Nixwax hydrophobia coating also helps to keep the rain out very well.
- Does not feature a hood cinch to keep the hood in place in windy conditions.
- The outer shell fabric is not very suitable for long term use.
- Q.Shield DOWN resists heat-robbing moisture and retains maximum loft even when wet
- Low profile quilt pattern to create heat trapping down channels for extra warmth
- Lightweight warmth makes it incredible for layering
Rab Microlight Alpine Down Jacket
Since its foundation in 1981, Rab has been specializing in the manufacture of clothing and other accessories related to climbing and mountaineering. Over the years, the company has managed to become one of the leading manufacturers of synthetic jackets, waterproof down jackets, gloves, tents and much more. Talking of waterproof jackets for mountaineering purposes, the Rab Microlight Alpine jacket is one of the most prominent of all the products of the company thanks to a special fabric that is used for its construction.
The Microlight Alpine jacket uses a tightly woven Pertex microlight fabric that is resistant to water and also features an external DWR coating to prevent rain water from seeping inside. If that is not enough, the company has also provided a 750-fill Nikwax hydrophobic coating for added protection and also to prevent the loss of loft in wet conditions. Apart from the excellent water resistant capabilities of this down jacket, we also loved the fact that it provides warmth even in extremely cold weather conditions usually encountered in the mountains.
The Rab Microlight Alpine jacket uses 750-fill down which is not as warm as the 800-fill but the company has packed about 3 ounces more to compensate for it. This however, makes it a little heavier than some of the other down jackets mentioned earlier. The jacket packs all the elements of an ideal down jacket together also boasts of the best water resistant capabilities. The jacket also features an insulated baffle, chin guard, YKK front zip and also comes with a separate stuff sack to pack it neatly in your backpack.
- Excellent water resistant features like an external DWR coating and water resistant hydrophobic down.
- Quite warm even in sub zero temperatures, thanks to the extra 3 ounces of 750-fill down.
- Features a chin guard to block out cold winds.
- Heavier than most of the down jackets mentioned in our list.
- Pertex Microlight outer fabric, 100% nylon ripstop, 750FP European Goose Down
- Adjustable hood with flexible polymer wired peak
- 2 zipped hand-warmer pockets, 1 zipped chesk pocket
- Separate stuff sack, elasticated cuffs, hem drawcord
Eddie Bauer Men’s EverTherm Down Hooded Jacket
This is a newly launched down jacket from Eddie Bauer and has already managed to garner positive reviews from its users. The jacket utilizes the latest Thindown technology that features thin layers of downs instead of the traditional quilted patterns. The solid down layer ensures consistent warmth without leaving any gaps in the jacket. The straight down design of the jacket keeps it close to the body at all times unlike the traditional quilted design.
Eddie Bauer has used about 30g of RDS certified Thindown material for its construction that has been spread uniformly throughout the jacket for optimum warmth. The outer Nylon shell of the jacket has been coated with Stormrepel Super DWR coating to provide protection from both rain and cold winds. This ensures that the jacket can be worn in extremely cold weather with strong winds or rain. One feature that we really liked about this jacket is its light weight design with a total weight of just 9.12 ounces. Due to this lightweight design with a compact layer of down throughout the jacket, the jacket can be worn under a heavier jacket to provide more protection from the weather elements.
The jacket also features two zippered side pockets to keep your hands warm along with a larger chest zipper pocket. Although the jacket can be folded down to a very small size, it does not come with a stuff sack to pack it up properly so you need to make your own arrangements. Overall the Eddie Bauer Men’s Evertherm Down Hooded jacket is value for money and is well suited for people looking for reliable down jacket with minimalistic features.
- Uniform insulation throughout the jacket.
- Lightweight design and easy to fold.
- Consistent DWR coating on the outer shell to block cold winds.
- Does not come with a stuff sack to pack it up.
Down Jackets vs. Other Jackets: Why Use a Down Jacket?
Like we said earlier best down jackets are light layers that produce incredible warmth. The perks of using a down jacket are many. When you don’t need one, stuff it into your backpack. Lightweight jackets are a real excel and here are a couple of things that the down jackets do for you – it keeps you warm, without adding too much weight and because of its pack-ability, a down jacket must be your number one priority when planning on visiting a mountain.
Down jackets are a win-win when compared to synthetic ones that often tend to be heavy, thick, with about the same warmth and does not compress well. If you are thinking of cold weather jackets, think of laying your hands on one of the best down jackets brands. For a more elaborate explanation of the many advantages of down jackets, read below. Besides going into detail Down Jackets reviews that we mentioned, we have also touched on a couple of other features and best Men’s & Women’s down jackets.
Best Down Jackets 2018 Buying Guides
Down jackets are lightweight, warm, big, yet can be easily packed into to your travel bag. But that’s not the only thing that consists of a down jacket. To choose the best jacket that’ll see through your time in the cold place, you’d need to keep a couple of points in mind. Below we are listing down the things you’ll need to consider before purchasing best down jackets 2018 for yourself:
Warmth (Click to Enlarge)
The number one reason to buy a down jacket is to retain warmth in your body. Warmth is normally the first things that people look into (although there are a whole lot of other things that you should see into and we have discussed all those below).
Down Fill Power (Click to Enlarge)
It’s a measurement of the warmth the jacket against its weight. A higher number signifies more warmth, but unfortunately, it also makes the jacket heavier. So the fill power directly reflects the weight of the jacket. Normally, an entry and mid-level jackets come with 550 to 650 down fill power and are suitable for daily wear, but for the heavy activity, you’ll need to go for something lighter. Make your choice wisely based on the purpose of Down filled jackets.
Types of Best Down Jackets (Click to Enlarge)
Regular and treated (hydrophobic) down are the two types of down and the one way they are different to the other is that hydrophobic down is treated with a durable water-repellent (DWR). It makes the jacket somewhat water repellent and helps it dry faster. When exposed to moisture, the hydrophobic down insulation loses only 30%.
Weight (Click to Enlarge)
By a rule of thumb, lightweight down jackets are preferred over heavier ones. Like we mentioned earlier, the higher the down fill power, the lighter the jacket will be. Also, it’s worth noting that the primary reason behind the rise and popularity of down jacket because they are lightly weighted owing to their build. So it’s wise to look one with high fill power.
Construction (Click to Enlarge)
Best Down jackets usually have two kinds of constructs: baffle box and sewn through ones. Baffle box jackets are usually pricier than the latter. That is because it offers better insulation owing to the lack of cold spots because each down box sports its own rectangle. As for the sewn through down jackets prevent the down from migrating causing cold spots to emerge especially around the stitches. It ends up reducing the overall warmth of the jacket.
With Hood or Without (Click to Enlarge)
Often overlooked but we think it’s quite important to decide on how you intend to use the jacket; on that would depend whether you need a hooded down jacket or without one. It’s probably worth noting that that down jackets with hood are used as mid layers for hiking and is usually a bit cheaper and weightless. Hooded down jackets are perfect for base layers for cold weather hiking.
Compressibility (Click to Enlarge)
The higher the compressibility, the easier it would carry the jack in a backpack. For good compressibility, there needs to be higher fill power number. Normally down jacket are more compressible than a synthetic-insulated jacket, so there’s another reason to get yourself best down jackets.
Pockets (Click to Enlarge)
Also, since these jackets are used by hiking and mountaineering, it’s important that they have convenient pockets. One should also see that the pockets are accessible when you are wearing your backpack, climbing harness, and other relevant gears. You wouldn’t like to scramble for things when you are out in the cold.
Pro-Tip (Click to Enlarge)
Down Jacket belongs to the category of high-priced fashion items. So, if you want to save some penny while buying the perfect jacket for you, you may look out for the best down jackets clearance sale.
Our Evergreen Articles
And with that, we conclude this list of best down jackets 2018. We have tried including the best manufacturers, covering the top down jackets available online that we got the chance to lay our hands on. Although these are the ones that fit in our bill, there might be several down jackets that are worthy of this list; let us know of them. Tell us in the comment section below. We wish you a warm and safe winter.
- Are You a Fit: Who Should Use Best Down Jackets?
- 10+3 Best Down Jackets 2018 for Men & Women (A Wishlist Worthy List)
- Outdoor Research Transcendent Down Sweater
- Patagonia Down Jacket for Men
- Mountain Hardwear Nitrous Down Jacket
- Columbia Platinum Turbo Down Jacket
- The North Face Thermoball Down Jacket
- Hawke & Co Down Puffer Jacket II
- Tommy Hilfiger Down Jacket
- Arc’Teryx Cerium LT Hooded Down Jacket
- Calvin Klein Classic Packable Down Jacket
- 32 Degrees Weatherproof Packable Down Puffer Jacket
- Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer
- Rab Microlight Alpine Down Jacket
- Eddie Bauer Men’s EverTherm Down Hooded Jacket
- Down Jackets vs. Other Jackets: Why Use a Down Jacket?
- Best Down Jackets 2018 Buying Guides
- Coleman 8-Person Red Canyon Tent Review & Specifications
- Best Hiking Headlamps 2018 Reviews, Comparison, Ratings & Buying Guide
- Best Survival Multi Tool 2018 : Reviews and Buying Guide
- Best Hiking Sandals 2018 Reviews, Comparison, Ratings & Buying Guide
- Patagonia Down Sweater Hoodie Review and Buying Guide