Last Updated: April 27th, 2020
Best Down Jackets 2020: In a cold place, it’s very obvious for you to be exposed to extreme conditions that come with living in such place. There are a lot of things that go into a winter gear, but the one most important item that you must have in your closet is a reliable down jacket.
When it comes to keeping warm, these best down jackets can be lifesavers. A good jacket will insulate your body and protect you from all elements that one comes across in a cold place and all the while looking stylish. All you need to do now is get yourself one, and you can’t go wrong if you choose one of the best down jackets 2020 listed down below.
Top Picked Down Jacket for Men
Top Picked Down Jacket for Women
Best Down Jackets for Women 2020
#1. Mountain Hardwear Nitrous Down Jacket
The California-based company was founded back in 1993; known for manufacturing high-tech outdoor clothes and gears. The company has been a sponsor of several athletes over the last few years including biggies like Andrew Lock, Erik Weihenmayer, Ethan Pringle, Jake Meyer, Kenton Cool, Ueli Steck, et al.
Mountain Hardwear’s Nitrous Down Jacket is one of the warmest down coat that we have come across. Available in four solid colors – black, dark compass, python green, and stone green (which we tested), it’s an 800-fill down jacket.
It’s a non-hooded jacket that sports high warmth to weight ratio with Q. Shield. Made of 100% nylon, the down sweater offers two front hands warmer pockets; dual hem drawcords seal in warmth, along with zippered hand pockets and one zippered chest pocket.
- INSULATION AND WATER RESISTANCE: The 800-fill Q.Shield Down keeps you warm and is lightweight and easily packable. Down fibers are infused with a permanent water repellency that helps maintain insulating performance even when exposed to moisture.
- DURABILITY: Durable 22D ripstop outer fabric withstands wear and tear but is soft to the touch.
- FIT: Slim fit with mid-thigh length provides added coverage
- FUNCTION: Insulated hood keeps you extra warm on cold days. Two zip hand warmer pockets. Elastance cuffs to seal in warmth and block out weather.
- LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY: Limited Lifetime Warranty covers defects in materials and workmanship for the practical lifetime of Mountain Hardwear brand products manufactured by Mountain Hardwear
#2. Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer
The Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer is one of the lightest down jackets available in the market right now. What is really impressive about this jacket is that the company has managed to keep the pockets intact along with fit adjustments in spite of being extremely lightweight. Composed of a layer of 800-fill down, this jacket is also impressive when it comes to beating the cold in freezing temperatures.
Despite being lighter in weight than most of the best down jackets mentioned above, this jacket was quite warm even in sub zero temperatures and this is one aspect that we really liked about it. The premium quality 800-fill down with a hydrophobic coating on top ensures that you stay dry and warm even in wet weather conditions.
The jacket features a low profile quilt pattern to trap body heat more effectively and provides extra warmth in extremely cold weather. This jacket also serves as a great layering combo with other down jackets as it is ultralight and can be worn easily. Available in a variety of color options like blue, purple, red. green, yellow, etc, the Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer would be a great companion to those looking for a lightweight option for short hiking trips.
- WARM, COMFORT, LIGHTWEIGHT, DURABILITY: With 800-fill down and a weight of only 8 oz, the Ghost Whisperer is the lightest in its class. Zips into its own pocket for compact storage
- WINDPROOF AND WATER REPELLENT: The Ghost Whisperer fabric's super-tight weave is naturally downproof, windproof and water repellent. Down fibers are infused with a permanent water repellency that helps maintain insulating performance even when exposed to moisture. Ripstop nylon.
- FIT: Alpine fit means a trim, close to body fit perfect for layering under a shell. Soft knit inner cuffs have elastic binding to snug in warmth. Hem has an interior toggle for easy adjustment
- FUNCTION: Low-profile quilting holds the 800 fill power goose down in place. Stow pocket has a loop so you can clip the jacket to your harness. Zippered hand pockets.
- LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY: Limited Lifetime Warranty covers defects in materials and workmanship for the practical lifetime of Mountain Hardwear brand products manufactured by Mountain Hardwear
Best Down Jackets for Men 2020
#3. Tommy Hilfiger Down Jacket
Whoever hasn’t heard of Tommy Hilfiger right? The multinational corporation is known for manufacturing and designing upper market apparels and a range of other products like footwear, fragrances, home furnishing, etc.
Established back in 1985 by Tommy Hilfiger who remains their chief designer and responsible for seeing the entire creative process, Tommy Hilfiger Corporation has some 1400 free-standing retail stores spread across some 90 countries. In short “Tommy Hilfiger Best Down Jackets” is one of the most searched terms among trekking enthusiasts.
It’s a nice looking jacket that is both light weighted, easy to pack and the great fit to your body. Nearly a week of testing has had us really impressed, but of course, the jacket has its drawbacks that we’ll be discussing below. It comes in some fifteen different colors, and most of them are matted, so it’s great for people who hate shiny sweater.
The available color options include black, cross dye charcoal, gold, port, red among others; and the one that we choose to test was Heather Slate.
Some of the other features that the down jackets include side-entry hand pockets and down feather padding with a logo at the left chest and standing collar to help protect your neck from the harsh weather. It also sports a drawstring that helps in quickly packing the jacket.
A fantastic addition to the list of the best budget down jackets 2020.
- WARMING FEATURES: This nylon puffer jacket has the role of blocking out the cold; It contains advantageous features such as rib knit storm cuffs and a fleece lined stand collar; Each feature adds to the insulation of the jacket
- FUNCTIONALITY: A center front zipper along with two side pockets gives viable storage; The fleece lined collar contains adjustable draw cords for insulation and warmth
- STYLISH FEATURES: The jacket demonstrates the signature look of Tommy Hilfiger with an embroidered flag on the left chest; The cuffs also exuberate authenticity with a Tommy Flag placed on the inside of the cuff
#4. Hawke & Co Down Puffer Jacket II
Founded in 1958, the makers are focused on producing utility textiles and have managed to become leaders in designing and producing outdoor garments. Carefully crafted and designed the products are versatile and encourage exploration. The products and particularly down above mentioned down jackets are the embodiment of the creative spirit and the attention to details that the Hawke & Co puts into what they make.
The Co Down Puffer Jacket II is one of the cheapest down jackets on our list (of best down jackets 2020) largely because the makers believe in creating affordable clothing that satisfies and exceeds customers expectations.
Made of Nylon, this particular down jacket comes in over fifteen colors and patterns for you to choose from. The one that we bought in and tested is called Kombu which is basically green. One of the biggest benefits of the down jacket is that it’s very light, warm and packable.
It performs well in the wet weather conditions too and for the cost, it’s one of the best down jackets which doesn’t burn a hole in your pocket and also performs really good. As for the size of the down sweater, we’d suggest you size down one size for a good fit. For anyone wanting to sport big and boxy down jacket, go for your regular size.
- LIGHTWEIGHT WARMTH: This jacket is made with Urban Explorer in mind. We don’t want to you to be held back by a big, bulky coat, which is why we created this with ultra-lightweight 550 duck down fill. This premium fill keeps you warm on cold winter days but can also be worn in the spring.
- PACKS INTO POCKET: This puffer jacket is easy to bring anywhere because it packs itself into its own pocket then can easily be carried or fit into your bag. The two side zipper pockets help keep your hands warm and dry during cold rainy days. They also help you keep your phone, wallet, and keys safe and secure during your outdoor adventures.
- PERFORMANCE FASHION: Our product is made to look great in the street and stand-up to anything the environment can throw at it. Since the jacket is made with lightweight, breathable material it will move with you and keep you comfortable during outdoor activities while keeping you dry with its waterproof and windproof shell.
- ADJUSTABLE FIT: The coat is designed with adjustable bungees on the hem and elastic sleeve cuffs to ensure warmth stays in the jacket and you’re fully protected against the elements. The full-front zip extends into the high-neck collar for full coverage.
- 2% TO HELP OTHERS: Hawke & Co believes in providing our customer with the best product in the market and providing those in need with a helping hand. That’s why we donate 2% of every sale to charities that help someone who’s homeless, someone who’s hungry, and making sure our Earth stays clean for future generations.
#5. 32 Degrees Weatherproof Packable Down Puffer Jacket
Known for making the most technologically advanced fabrics that are also responsible for bringing all-day comfort at a value price, the 32 Degrees clothing lines are an inspiration. Owned by D.P.I. Imports in New York, the full trademarked brand is ‘Weatherproof 32 degrees’. Founded in 1948, the clothes that they manufacture are known for their comfort and convenience.
It’s one of the best down jackets for cold weather that we have come across while trying to make this list. The Packable Down Puffer Jacket comes in five different colors for you to choose from and the one we tested is Army Green. Here’s what the jacket has to offer – on-seam side-entry pockets, color-matched packable pouch. This packable quilted down puffer jacket comes with standing collar and zip front. It’s ultralight, with minimal weight, superb compressibility and high-loft warmth.
- Packable quilted-down puffer jacket with standing collar and zip front
- On-seam side-entry pockets
- Color-matched packable pouch
Also read – Best hiking sandals in 2020
#6. Outdoor Research Transcendent Down Sweater
Outdoor Research is one of the best hiking gear makers in the market right now. Founded back in 1980 by Ron Gregg, a physicist and dedicated mountaineer who went on to revolutionized standards in the outdoor industry. Over the last two decades the lead innovations in a number of fields. Having made groundbreaking products from waterproof stuff sack to softshell gloves, Outdoor Research has expanded their reach with their horizon and came up with some of the best waterproof down jackets.
Outdoor Research Transcendent Sweater tops our list of best down jackets 2020 and good reasons too. It’s incredible light weighted and warmed that promises to keep you comfortable when the temperatures drop. The down jacket offers impressive compressibility so that you can pack it up in your bag without taking too much of space.
It’s a high quality down jacket that comes with a 650 down fill insulation while you go out to enjoy the view.
Some of the features that helped Outdoor Research Transcendent Sweater grab the number one spot are Zippered Napoleon Pocket, Drawcord Hem, Stretch Binding at Cuffs, Left Hand Pocket Doubles as Stuff Sack, Brushed-Tricot-Lined Collar, Internal Front-Zip Stormflap. Like we mentioned, it’s breathable and light weighted.
The down jacket comes in nine vibrant colors – Bengal/Diablo, Black, Dusk/Night, Earth/Cafe, Evergreen/Hops, Glacier, Pewter/Lemongrass, Redwood/Charcoal, and Tahoe/Baltic.
- Fabric Performance: Water-Resistant, Wind-Resistant, Lightweight
- Design Features: Zip Chest Pocket, Zip Hand Pockets, Right-Hand Pocket Doubles as Stuff Sack, Internal Front Stormflap, Carabiner Loop, Brushed Tricot-Lined Collar, Brushed Tricot Back of Hand Inside Pockets, Key Clip
- Functional Details: Single-Separating Front Zipper, Elastic Cuffs, Elastic Drawcord Hem
- Sports recreation product
#7. Columbia Platinum Turbo Down Jacket
Columbia Sportswear Company has been making outdoor gears for the last 70 years. This global sportswear company is based in Portland, Oregon. The products kept you warm, dry, cool and protected all weather condition. Over the last couple of years, the company has experienced many ups and downs but has managed to established reputation because of the fact they enjoy outdoors adventures which are integral to the success of their products and the company as a whole.
As for Columbia Platinum Down Jacket, it is one of the best down jackets we have come across owing to its thinness and lightweight. It comes with Omni-Heat reflective lining, 860 Turbo Down insulation with binding at the collar and cuff. Made of water-resistant fabric, the down jacket comes in over 10 color options to choose from, and those are backcountry orange, black, bright red, deep water, ever blue, graphite, hyper blue, mountain red, new cinder, rocket, and super blue.
The sweater offers zippered hand pockets and along with drawcord adjustable hem which is great, to say the least. The jacket is durable, and because of its slim frame, the piece of cloth is a great fit. It’s durable and comes with a breast pocket along with inner storage.
- Omni-Heat reflective lining, 860 Turbo Down insulation
- Water resistant fabric
- Binding at collar and cuff
- Zippered hand pockets
- Draw cord adjustable hem
Check out – Best hiking boots
#8. Eddie Bauer Men’s EverTherm Down Hooded Jacket
This is a newly launched down jacket from Eddie Bauer and has already managed to garner positive reviews from its users. The jacket utilizes the latest Thindown technology that features thin layers of downs instead of the traditional quilted patterns. The solid down layer ensures consistent warmth without leaving any gaps in the jacket. The straight down design of the jacket keeps it close to the body at all times unlike the traditional quilted design.
Eddie Bauer has used about 30g of RDS certified Thindown material for its construction that has been spread uniformly throughout the jacket for optimum warmth. The outer Nylon shell of the jacket has been coated with Stormrepel Super DWR coating to provide protection from both rain and cold winds.
This ensures that the jacket can be worn in extremely cold weather with strong winds or rain. One feature that we really liked about this jacket is its light weight design with a total weight of just 9.12 ounces. Due to this lightweight design with a compact layer of down throughout the jacket, the jacket can be worn under a heavier jacket to provide more protection from the weather elements.
The jacket also features two zippered side pockets to keep your hands warm along with a larger chest zipper pocket. Although the jacket can be folded down to a very small size, it does not come with a stuff sack to pack it up properly so you need to make your own arrangements. Overall the Eddie Bauer Men’s Evertherm Down Hooded jacket is value for money and is well suited for people looking for reliable down jacket with minimalistic features.
- No quilting. No cold spots. This is down. Revolutionary new Thindown fabric replaces traditional, high-loft down clusters with ultrathin down sheets, eliminating the need for quilting or channels. It also creates maximum thermal efficiency without bulk and, since the down is uniform throughout, there are no cold spots. You get all warmth, no puff, in a simple, streamlined design that delivers superior technical performance.
- This is your go-to men's hooded down jacket for looking great in town or high up in the mountains. After testing the Men's Evertherm Down Jacket on his climb of Mt. Everest, Eddie Bauer Alpine Climbing Guide (IFMGA) Adrian Ballinger claimed this is the best hooded outdoor shell he's worn due to it being ultralight, warm, and slim.
- Features of this revolutionary outdoor jacket include: 30G Evertherm down insulation with Thindown technology that provides maximum warmth and minimum loft without down leakage. StormRepel Super DWR provides long-lasting moisture-shedding finish on the nylon shell. Low-profile insulated hood with elastic binding that enhances fit and confortZip-close chest and hand pockets keep essentials secure. Elastic binding at wrist cuffs seals out the cold. Adjustable drawcord waist dials in the fit.
- Available in Regular and Tall sizes with 29 inches length to accommodate a taller frame. Average length: Reg 29 inches. Average weight: Reg 12.64 ounces. Classic Fit: A universal fit. Not too slim, not too relaxed on body. Designed to fit over midweight layers.
- Temperature rating: 40 degrees Farenheit with low activity, -15 degrees Farenheit with moderate activity. 100% nylon shell. CARE: Secure all garment closures before laundering. Turn garment inside out. Machine wash cold delicate, separately, using mild detergent. Rinse thoroughly. Do not bleach or use fabric softeners. Tumble dry low. Do not iron or steam. Do not dry clean.
#9. The North Face Thermoball Down Jacket
The American Outdoor is known for specializing in making outdoor equipment like coats, shirts, outerwear, fleece, sleeping bags, backpacks, tents, footwear, etc. The company tends to make products that are useful for amateurs and skilled professionals like college students, skiers, mountaineers, snowboarders, hikers, climbers, etc. Founded back in 1968, The North Face mainly serves in the North and South America, Europe, and Asia-Pacific areas.
Onboard is a 2-way nylon zipper which makes for excellent ventilation options. In order to ensure that all the parts of the enclosed person’s body are equally ventilated, these zips divide the entire thing into the top and bottom ventilation sections. This individual attention to details is what makes this bivouac sack so special.
As for their Thermoball Jacket, it available in fifty plus colors and patterns; the one that we tried and was incredibly impressed was the Asphalt Grey. The down sweater offers versatile mid-weight layer that keeps you protected from the harsh weather conditions in the mountains.
We really liked its lofty yet packable design makes it the perfect choice for unpredictable mountain weather choices. We tested the jacket in a wet weather condition, and it performed better than we expected.
Basically, it was the thermoBall insulation is the jacket that provided supreme heat to the wearer even in wet weather condition. Plus the jacket comes with incredible compressibility that allows you to effortlessly compress the jacket into your backpack.
- MEN'S OUTERWEAR: Stay warm, dry & shielded from the elements wherever adventure takes you with The North Face insulated & down puffer jackets, snow parkas, insulated vests, fleece jackets, or rainwear.
- MORE THAN JACKETS: If you're looking to spend more time on the slopes or the trails, get equipped with jackets for men, coats for men, men's ski pants, men's boots, and more!
- GEAR FOR EVERY WEATHER: From rain coats, parkas, ski jackets, pullovers, windbreakers, hoodies, & vests to base layers, snow pants, & hiking boots, The North Face has the quality outerwear you're looking for.
- OUTDOOR APPAREL: Whether you're skiing, snowboarding, camping, hiking, training, running, or climbing, The North Face has the snow gear, boots, jackets, scarves or warm winter hats you need.
You may also like to read – Best hiking gloves in 2020
#10. Arc’Teryx Cerium LT Hooded Down Jacket
The outdoor clothing and sporting goods company were founded back in 1989, and for anyone interested, the name comes from one of the earliest known bird called Archaeopteryx. Headquartered in Canada, the company is responsible for manufacturing skiing, climbing, snowboarding, backpacking and all other hiking-related activities products.
The worth of the company and their products can be judged based on the fact that their Arc’teryx LEAF (Law Enforcement and Armed Forces) product line that makes the military and law enforcement clothing products.
Arc’Teryx hooded jacket comes with a ton of colors and design. The one we choose to test is Rigel that comes filled with 850 white geese down. Streamlined and light weighted down sweater, the piece of material works well in both cold and dry conditions.
The secret behind the incredible warmth that the down jacket seems to come with is the Strategic placement of synthetic and down insulation, which makes it one of the best down jackets available in the market.
The Coreloft synthetic insulation is placed along the collar, sleeves, shoulder, and underarms. These are the areas are generally prone to contact moisture and become colder. One of the best down coat for cold weather, the piece of clothing sports an adjustable hem drawcord and low profile down insulated StormHood that largely makes sure the draft stays outside.
- Lightweight yet durable Arato 10 face fabric with DWR finish repels moisture
- Down Composite Mapping strategically places both down and synthetic insulation
- Adjustable low profile down insulated StormHood
- Two zippered hand pockets, includes stuff sack
- Low profile, elasticized cuff at wrist layers easily
#11. Calvin Klein Classic Packable Down Jacket
The fashion house was founded by Calvin Klein back in 1968. Headquartered in the New York City, the fashion house is currently owned by PVH. Over the last fifty years, the brand has managed to become one of the most revered and popular clothing lines.
Out of the seven color variants, we choose to test midnight and were extremely satisfied with the result, and thus included it in this coveted list of best down jackets. The down jacket is a premium down that comes with zipping front, open cuffs with soft elastic hem, interior, exterior pockets, and packs into a nylon bag.
With chevron cut lines, the jacket fits well while keeping enough space for other clothes underneath. Of course, coming from the house of Calvin Klein the design of the jacket is commendable so much so that we can tell it is the best looking down jacket that we have come across and also amongst our list of top down jackets. The jacket’s shell material is pretty thin and as for the rest of the material, the Calvin Klein down jacket sports which is great, to say the least.
- Open bottom, zip front, zip through collar, soft elastic hem line, open cuffs with soft elastic hem, single entry hand pockets with zipper closure
- Interior pockets, exterior pockets, CK logo on chest, packable jacket, premium down, Calvin Klein logo on interior, comes with packable down bag
Also check out – Best teepee tents for kids
#12. Rab Microlight Alpine Down Jacket
Since its foundation in 1981, Rab has been specializing in the manufacture of clothing and other accessories related to climbing and mountaineering. Over the years, the company has managed to become one of the leading manufacturers of synthetic jackets, waterproof down jackets, gloves, tents and much more. Talking of waterproof jackets for mountaineering purposes, the Rab Microlight Alpine jacket is one of the most prominent of all the products of the company thanks to a special fabric that is used for its construction.
The Microlight Alpine jacket uses a tightly woven Pertex microlight fabric that is resistant to water and also features an external DWR coating to prevent rain water from seeping inside.
If that is not enough, the company has also provided a 750-fill Nikwax hydrophobic coating for added protection and also to prevent the loss of loft in wet conditions. Apart from the excellent water resistant capabilities of this down jacket, we also loved the fact that it provides warmth even in extremely cold weather conditions usually encountered in the mountains.
The Rab Microlight Alpine jacket uses 750-fill down which is not as warm as the 800-fill but the company has packed about 3 ounces more to compensate for it. This however, makes it a little heavier than some of the other down jackets mentioned earlier. The jacket packs all the elements of an ideal down jacket together also boasts of the best water resistant capabilities. The jacket also features an insulated baffle, chin guard, YKK front zip and also comes with a separate stuff sack to pack it neatly in your backpack.
- Pertex Microlight outer fabric
- Nylon ripstop inner
- 750FP European Goose Down (125g/40z in size L)
- Rab fluorocarbon free Hydrophobic Down
- Mini-stitch through baffle consutrction
Check out – Best 4 person tent in 2020
#13. Patagonia Down Jacket for Men
Patagonia was founded in 1953 by a 14-year-older called Yvon Chouinard. Fast forward to 20 years, Chouinard Equipment had become the largest suppliers of climbing hardware in the United States of America, and now Patagonia is a legendary company. Known for their high-quality product, Patagonia claims to have never “knowingly make a mediocre product.”
As an environmentally conscious company, they say that they “cannot avert our eyes from the harm done, by all of us, to our one and only home.” That said makes excellent down jackets, and one of it was bound to make it to any list of top ten best down jackets.
Patagonia’s Down Sweater Jackets are not just superbly compressible, its featherweight. Comes with a 100% polyester ripstop shell, the down jacket is tear-resistant, snow shedding along with being windproof. With 800-fill-power, the Patagonia Men’s Down Jackets is one of the cheapest down jackets on our list.
It offers 2 zippered hand pockets, quilted-through construction, and a drawcord hem that tightens the piece of cloth from inside. Besides there is an interior chest pocket that doubles as a stuff sack with a carabiner clip-in loop, and it’s zippered.
Like Outdoor Research Sweater, Patagonia Down Sweater Jacket comes in nine vibrant colors for you to choose from. Those colors are Peppergrass Green, Feather Grey/Forge Grey, Black, Deep Sea Blue, Black/Black, Navy Blue, Underwater Blue, and French Reds.
You would like to check out – Best backpacking tent
Down Jackets vs. Other Jackets: Why Use a Down Jacket
Like we said earlier best down jackets are light layers that produce incredible warmth. The perks of using a down jacket are many. When you don’t need one, stuff it into your backpack.
Lightweight jackets are a real excel and here are a couple of things that the down jackets do for you – it keeps you warm, without adding too much weight and because of its pack-ability, a down jacket must be your number one priority when planning on visiting a mountain.
Down jackets are a win-win when compared to synthetic ones that often tend to be heavy, thick, with about the same warmth and does not compress well. If you are thinking of cold weather jackets, think of laying your hands on one of the best down jackets brands. For a more elaborate explanation of the many advantages of down jackets, read below.
Besides going into detail Down Jackets reviews that we mentioned, we have also touched on a couple of other features and best Men’s & Women’s down jackets.
Best Down Jackets 2020 Buying Guides
Down jackets are lightweight, warm, big, yet can be easily packed into to your travel bag. But that’s not the only thing that consists of a down jacket. To choose the best jacket that’ll see through your time in the cold place, you’d need to keep a couple of points in mind. Below we are listing down the things you’ll need to consider before purchasing top down jackets for yourself:
The number one reason to buy a down jacket is to retain warmth in your body. Warmth is normally the first things that people look into (although there are a whole lot of other things that you should see into and we have discussed all those below).
Down Fill Power
It’s a measurement of the warmth the jacket against its weight. A higher number signifies more warmth, but unfortunately, it also makes the jacket heavier. So the fill power directly reflects the weight of the jacket. Normally, an entry and mid-level jackets come with 550 to 650 down fill power and are suitable for daily wear, but for the heavy activity, you’ll need to go for something lighter. Make your choice wisely based on the purpose of Down filled jackets.
Also check out – best 8 person tent in 2020
Types of Best Down Jackets
Regular and treated (hydrophobic) down are the two types of down and the one way they are different to the other is that hydrophobic down is treated with a durable water-repellent (DWR). It makes the jacket somewhat water repellent and helps it dry faster. When exposed to moisture, the hydrophobic down insulation loses only 30%.
By a rule of thumb, lightweight down jackets are preferred over heavier ones. Like we mentioned earlier, the higher the down fill power, the lighter the jacket will be. Also, it’s worth noting that the primary reason behind the rise and popularity of down jacket because they are lightly weighted owing to their build. So it’s wise to look one with high fill power.
Best Down jackets usually have two kinds of constructs: baffle box and sewn through ones. Baffle box jackets are usually pricier than the latter. That is because it offers better insulation owing to the lack of cold spots because each down box sports its own rectangle. As for the sewn through down jackets prevent the down from migrating causing cold spots to emerge especially around the stitches. It ends up reducing the overall warmth of the jacket.
With Hood or Without
Often overlooked but we think it’s quite important to decide on how you intend to use the jacket; on that would depend whether you need a hooded down jacket or without one. It’s probably worth noting that that down jackets with hood are used as mid layers for hiking and is usually a bit cheaper and weightless. Hooded down jackets are perfect for base layers for cold weather hiking.
The higher the compressibility, the easier it would carry the jack in a backpack. For good compressibility, there needs to be higher fill power number. Normally down jacket are more compressible than a synthetic-insulated jacket, so there’s another reason to get yourself best down jackets.
Don’t forget to check – best hiking shoes for men & women
Also, since these jackets are used by hiking and mountaineering, it’s important that they have convenient pockets. One should also see that the pockets are accessible when you are wearing your backpack, climbing harness, and other relevant gears. You wouldn’t like to scramble for things when you are out in the cold.
Down Jacket belongs to the category of high-priced fashion items. So, if you want to save some penny while buying the perfect jacket for you, you may look out for the best down jackets clearance sale.
And with that, we conclude this list of best down jackets 2020. We have tried including the best manufacturers, covering the top down jackets available online that we got the chance to lay our hands on. Although these are the ones that fit in our bill, there might be several down jackets that are worthy of this list; let us know of them. Tell us in the comment section below. We wish you a warm and safe winter.