Last Update: 5th April 2019
Best 4 person Tents 2019: 4 person tents are ideal for a medium-sized group who have decided to go on a camping or hiking tour. After going through hundreds of product reviews, talking to various experts in the field, and after going through the products available in this genre, we have decided to bring to you the best 4 person tents.
Not all the tents that fit in this category can seriously be considered to be the best ones; the 4 person tent genre is one of the most popular ones in modern times and many relatively unknown companies have also entered the manufacturing of these tents. Most of the newer entries are absolutely outrageous and of very poor quality. The top 4 person tents must follow some criteria which we have listed in the buying guide too.
4 Person Tents are the most useful gears to pack before going for any quick trek with friends. These type of tents are very easy to carry and can be set up with super ease within few minutes. Check out best 4 person tents list now before making your final decision.
These are the top 4 person tents that you need consider. Remember the thumb rule of tents: if you have to accommodate 4 persons, look for one which is big enough to house 6. And if you are looking for a 6 person tent, an 8 person tent needs to be identified. With this in mind, we have put out this list.
Best 4 Person Tents 2019
#1. ALPS Mountaineering Taurus 4-Person Tent
ALPS Mountaineering has always been one of the top most manufacturers of tents for all purposes. Traditionally a manufacturer of tents ideal for colder and snowy climes, the ALPS Taurus 4 person tent is one of all sorts of weathers. Durable and manufactured with obvious care, this is one 4 person tent that you will not like to miss out on.
Of late, many campers have complained that the stainless steel fittings of many modern tents are not very good. Apparently, ALPS seems to have taken the suggestion carefully and the Taurus tent boasts of a free-standing two-pole design that has fiberglass poles for the company.
Fibreglass poles generally have better strength and durability than most modern metal poles. We took it to an area where it is wet around the year and ensured that we were not disappointed by carrying this tent: it has a Polyester tent fly which is effective in resisting water. It was extremely effective and we especially liked the fact that these tents have also been designed to keep out any UV interference, which means it will work very well in warmer climes where the sun is hotter.
The ALPS Taurus model also has a mesh roof and two entryways, which also ensure comfort and privacy. To aid in privacy and for the sake of ventilation, there is a zippered window located on each door which is easily accessible and offers great ventilation as well.
We especially liked the #8 zippers which come with it as well as the poly taffeta floor and mesh storage pockets. Guy ropes and other paraphernalia come with the package and you can also add two vestibules to the tent for extra storage space. Overall, a great buy.
- There's no assembly frustration with our Taurus Tent series; this free-standing, fiberglass two-pole design can be setup in no time
- Polyester tent fly resists water and UV damage while adding two vestibules for extra storage and space
- Mesh roof, two entryways and a zippered window on each door offers easy access and great ventilation
- Fully equipped with #8 zippers, mesh storage pockets, gear loft, aluminum stakes and guy ropes
- Base Size: 7'6 x 8'6, Center Height: 52", Total Weight: 10 lbs. 8 oz.
#2. EUREKA! Copper Canyon 4 – 4 Person Tent
This copper tan-colored tent is big enough for 4 people but no more than that. So, it translates to three adults with great ease and a pet. That said, this tent is big enough for all your mattresses and other gear. We took it to Rock Creek Lake in the Sierras and this tent was hardly affected by the weather. It even managed to withstand great wind speeds and snowfall.
At its heart, this is essentially a 6-pole cabin style tent which has a single ‘D’ shaped door for entry and exit. At its center, it is 7′ high and it also has a very decent 8×8 floor space. EUREKA has built-in support for a single vestibule which aids in providing better storage area. The welded flooring is aided with an ergonomic inverted seam which helps in making the tent nearly water resistant.
This tent also offers great visibility and ventilation features thanks to the pretty big windows which are airy and spacious. The ventilation is actually improved by the presence of the full mesh roof which also offers a greater sense of space in the tent.
It is remarkably simple to set up and is a tent which does not take too much experience to erect. Of course, when we refer to the ease in setting up, we must also consider the pin-up assembly.
This 4 person tent also has a combination steel/fiberglass frame, something that we like. It offers great durability and strength. Also, the Gear loft is included.
- Relax in cabin-like comfort with the Eureka! Copper Canyon 4 four-person, three-season tent.
- Near-vertical walls in this cabin-style tent create a spacious interior ideal for cots and airbeds.
- Outlast rain and wind storms with the durable steel/fiberglass frame, which includes pole sleeves, hubs, and a ring/pin assembly for easy setup.
- Eureka!'s zippered E! Power Port allows you to bring an outdoor-grade electrical power cord inside the tent to power phone chargers and other electronics.
- Two high-stash storage pockets and a gear loft keep essentials close at hand and within easy reach.
#3. Coleman 4 Person Instant Tent
Coleman is a well-known name in the arena of tenting and there is no reason why this product too should not be world class. This is the best instant 4 person tent on this list of ours. Of course, we also realize that this is the biggest tent in this category but that is beside the point.
The material used for the construction is great: it comes with 150D Polyester and 150D taped seams, both of which aid in the waterproof nature of the product as well as lending a certain degree of durability and sturdiness. The product is available all over the world and is exported to many countries. Being an instant tent, the setup can be completed in 60 seconds flat and comes with pre-attached poles which fit into place when the tent is unfurled and then inflated.
Like all of Coleman’s products, this one too has all the necessary trappings for a decent 4 person tent. An integrated vented rainfly allows better ventilation by adding a certain degree of extra airflow. Moreover, this vented rainfly does not take any extra assembly, which aids in the instant tent’s design. When we were camping in the utter darkness of a forest in the Rockies, we especially liked the Illumiline™ reflective guy lines, something that no other tent in this category boasts of.
The taped fly seams are also something that we have learned to love. Taped seams help in waterproofing the tent and helps in the drainage of the water that would have otherwise seeped inside. To put the size of the tent in perspective, we could easily accommodate 4 adults while also being able to drag in a giant inflatable mattress. The size is definitely one of the tent’s best features.
The tent also has above average stake quality and the build quality is overall better than most comparable tents. Even when used in windy situations, the tent will not disappoint.
- Instant tent sets up in just 1 minute; Spacious interior has room for 1 queen airbed
- WeatherTec system with patented welded floors and inverted seams to keep you dry
- Rugged Polyguard 2X double-thick fabric for reliable, long-lasting use; Pre-attached poles for quicker, simpler setup - just extend and secure
- Integrated vented rainfly improves airflow without any extra assembly needed
- Measures 8 x 7 feet with 4-foot 11-inch center height
#4. NTK INDY GT 4 to 5 Person 12.2 by 8 Foot Outdoor Dome Family Camping Tent
This is the latest item from the house of NTK. NTK has been known for its feature-rich, impressive tents which are built in many size categories. The Indy GT is ideal for 4 people and one child. Based on regular tent standards, this model actually provides more space when compared to its peers. A fine tent as far as a small camping party is concerned and a value for money buy.
We did not get too much time to use this model, so it figures a lowly 3rd on this list. That said, over the 3 days that we did manage to spend inside of it, it was splendid, offering everything that the company had said it would. At its heart, this is a European design tent with one door. While many tents on this list have got more than one door, this is not going to be a disappointment. The tent is made out of double-layered material and boasts 190T polyester layer laminated with polyurethane supporting the 2500mm water column rainfly, all to keep the water out of the tent and helping ensure that the tent remains waterproof.
In addition to being waterproof, the tent will also handle hotter climates very well. This is due to the heat-seamed thermoplastic coating on the material which absorbs UV radiation. The tent we used had extremely good protection against mosquitoes and other pests.
The tent is also rather sturdy thanks to the Nano-flex fiberglass poles that interconnect with the double gold chrome plated ferrule hardware which is manufactured out of 100 percent virgin material, something that promises to help in adding to the sturdiness of any tent.
NTK has gone overboard in adding features to this tent. The model boasts of both a fireproof and the familiar waterproof nature. It is also remarkably hygienic, thanks to the seamlessly integrated, anti-fungal polyethylene material which is designed with a silver-coated inner layer. This ensures greater water resistance and also promises to ensure that you do not have to wake up in a poodle of water. The material also has CPAI-84 certified fireproofing material. At a mere 12.35 pounds or 4 kilos, it is also portable inside of a backpack.
- DESIGNED FOR QUICK & EASY ASSEMBLY - The INDY 4- 5 person tent is great for all the family . With easy assembly, the spacious European design one door tent weighs 12lbs with a comfortable floor size of 12.8ft x 8ft (sleep area of 8ft x 7ft) and 4.7ft center height for maximum comfort.
- DOUBLE LAYER FULL COVERAGE RAINFLY - 100% waterproof 190T polyester laminated with polyurethane. 2500mm water column rainfly provides full coverage, while the heat-seamed thermoplastic coating offers UV protection. Inner tent has a large 2-way zipper D-style door with full mosquito mesh protection. Roomy utility pocket for storage and ventilated mesh roof. European design delivers a unique front vestibule that has an awning and side door with a detachable PE tarp floor.
- THICK NANO-FLEX TECHNOLOGY FRAME - Extra thick Nano-flex fiberglass poles interconnect with double gold chrome plated ferrule hardware and strong elastic , offering a sturdy construction . Made with 100% virgin material to provide additional strength and flexibility.
- BREATHABLE MICRO MOSQUITO MESH - Ultra-thin NO-SEE-UM polyester micro-mesh fabric keeps you safe from the smallest insects and mosquitoes - letting fresh air in while keeping bugs out! Freestanding design is easy to set up and take down. Built for the Brazilian Amazon, the Cherokee 3-season dome family tent will keep you comfortable and protected from heat, rain and wind.
- HEAVY DUTY ANTI FUNGUS FLOOR MATERIAL - Seamless, anti-fungal polyethylene with a silver-coated inner layer to prevents leaks, keeping you dry and protected. The flooring has a unique bathtub-style construction element barrier, designed to ensure so you won't wake up in a puddle! CPAI-84 fire retardant materials. Comes with a zipped stuff bag and ID label to personalize your tent.
#5. Coleman Sundome 4 Person Tent
Another tent from the house of Coleman on this list, the Coleman Sundome tent has a unique shape that is unmistakable. This 4 person tent is ideal for camping in even the wettest areas thanks to its waterproof nature. This is the cheapest 4 person tent on our list. It is airy and pretty well ventilated. Overall, this is a tent which is a steal at the price it is available for.
The setup process is very simple. When we went camping last year, we took this baby along with us; it was actually great, given that we were 4 adults with a median height of over 5.5 feet. This means that the tent is big enough to be billed as a true 4 person tent. It started raining on the second day of our trip and we were saved by the tent’s proprietary WeatherTec system.
The tent has a tub-like floor which also uses patented corner welds besides inverted seams; these features help in keeping the water out of the tent. Coleman also has a hooded rainfly, giving you the opportunity of using the windows even during heavy downpours.
The way in which the tent has been designed is also pretty efficient. It comes with multiple small pockets which can store all your daily need items like mobile phones and chargers. A carrying bag is also included, making it portable even in the most inclement weather.
While the company says that the tent is big enough for 4-5 adults, we recommend that you do not take an extra person with you. When we used the tent, it was just about big enough for 4 adults; anyone else would be seriously testing the tent’s use worthiness.
- Dome tent with spacious interior allows you to move comfortably
- Easy setup in only 10 minutes
- WeatherTec system with patented welded floors and inverted seams to keep you dry
- Large windows and a ground vent for superior ventilation
- Measures 9 x 7 feet with 4 foot 11 inch center height
#6. Suisse Sport Yosemite Tent
Suisse is a pretty well-known name in this business and the Sport Yosemite model is hardly disappointing. When we used it on a well-known camping trail in Utah, where we can see the stars at night, this was our companion. This is the most private 4 person tent; this is because the tent has a screened porch which enables it to be divided into two separate rooms. On a camping trip, we were also not let down by the fact that this tent has a single D door. It is both big and impressive.
Suisse has made the tent in a manner which makes it usable in almost every climate. It is also pretty tall and has enough space for more than 4 adults but not much more. Onboard ventilation is also rather good given that the tent has 3 mesh zippered windows as well as a mesh ceiling. The mesh helps in keeping out the undesirable elements like bugs while it is also important in allowing sufficient air flow.
The tent is greatly water resistant. What we especially liked was the fact that the tent has a polyester rain fly with a 600mm coating as well as taped seams, both of which will help in keeping the extra water out of the tent without keeping the air out.
The tent is rather easy to set up and it is also important to note that it takes just one person to do it. The tent is constructed of a fire retardant material and is also portable like any other 4 person tent.
- Yosemite tent from Suisse Sport, 2 room Dome style tent that sleeps 5 people, perfect for your next camping adventure
- Removable divider splits the tent into 2 rooms
- Double D door for easy entry and exit
- 3 mesh zippered windows and mesh ceiling
- Tent dimensions: 10 x 6 x 8 feet (w x H x D); tent weight: 13.65 pounds
#7. ALPS Mountaineering Lynx 4 Person Tent
Since ALPS Mountaineering is one of the most renowned companies, when it comes to camping tents, we decided to include another variant from its popular 4-person tent category. The ALPS Mountaineering Lynx 4 person tent can be used in all kinds of weather and one of the best features of this tent is the ease of setup.
While most camping tents are supplied with stainless steel poles, this particular tent comes with Aluminum poles for support which makes it light weight and incredibly easy to setup. The poles are also provided with pole clips that can easily fit over the poles and speeds up the setup process. In spite of having just two poles for support, the tent can withstand strong winds and rain with ease, thanks to its rectangular dome style design.
Vents are provided on each sides of the tent for proper ventilation along with windows on the front and back side that can be zipped up at night. More than half of each of the four walls is also made up of mesh fiber to allow even more ventilation. The base area of the tent is also quite large and you can even use an air mattress inside the tent if you wish.
The central height of the tent is 52 inches which ensures that children can stand upright inside the tent without touching the ceiling. The tent also features two vestibules for storage which will enable you to optimize the ground storage space further. Weighing at just 9 pounds, it can be easily carried in your backpack to even remote trekking locations.
Overall, this is a great tent for almost any kind of hiking expeditions and the ease of setup makes it one of the top choices among trekkers who use 4 person tents occasionally.
- There's no assembly frustration with our Lynx Tent series; this free-standing, aluminum two-pole design is a breeze to setup
- Polyester tent fly resists water and UV damage while adding two vestibules for extra storage space
- Fully equipped with #8 zippers, storage pockets, gear loft, stakes, guy ropes and two doorways
- The ALPS Mountaineering Lynx Tent is on our best sellers list; it's a must-have for your next adventure
- Base Size: 7'6 x 8'6, Center Height: 52", Total Weight: 8 lbs. 10 oz., Minimum Weight: 7 lbs. 15 oz., Color: Clay/Rust
#8. HOSPORT Popup Instant Automatic 4 Person Tent
HOSPORT is a popular name in the category of camping tents and the HOSPORT popup instant automatic tent is one of its best sellers. What makes this tent a hot favorite among trekkers is the fact that it can be setup in just 60 seconds. All you need to do is unfold the tent properly on the ground after rolling its corners and then push down the support switch. This is surely one of the best 4 person tents, as it can easily be setup automatically without you having to fix up the poles for support.
The tent is made up of breathable mesh fabric with a strong and durable canopy layering for added reliability. This makes the tent usable in any kinds of weather conditions and ideal for different occasions like hiking, fishing, camping, road trips, etc. The tent has twin D shaped doors on the two sides with four large mesh windows for ventilation. The central height of the tent is 59 inches which is more than sufficient for children to stand inside without touching the ceiling.
Unlike other tents mentioned above, the HOSPORT Popup Instant Automatic tent comes with fibre glass support poles which are more sturdy and durable than their stainless steel counterparts. The tent is also completely waterproof; thanks to the 180T PU coated waterproof cloth on the outside.
What we liked the most about this tent is the special tub-like flooring with corner welds and covered seams that works really well to keep the rain water out during heavy downpours. The solid canopy fabric used for the ceiling of the tent also prevents any rain water to seep in through the fabric and completely removes the need to use a separate rain jackets.
- 60-SECOND INSTANT SETUP TENT - This automatic tent is easily pitched thanks to its simple pole structure and quick clip system. The set-up step you could see on the image, just need three steps for easy set-up within one minute. The fastest and easiest set up and take down!
- DOUBLE LAYER & MULTIFUNCTION - It's cool in hot weather and warm on chilly nights. Balancing breathable mesh fabric with solid canopy fabric. Double layer 3-season family tent provides ventilation, warmth and privacy, making it perfect for many occasions: camping, hiking, road trips, fishing, parks, beach.
- TWO DOORS WITH LARGE SPACE - The inner of this dome tent Includes 4 Large mesh windows for ventilation and visibility. Two large doors for easy entry, and easy playing for kids. It is 150cm high inside, enough for kids to stand in, and perfect for your family camping.
- RAINPROOF & UV PROTECTION TENT- If it rains, stay dry thanks to tub-like floors with technical corner welds and covered seams to help keep water out. And the 180T silver glue PU coating cloth protects you from UV damage, it's windproof, rain-proof and warm keeping.
- STURDY STRUCTURE & DURABLE - This large tent is built with durable fiberglass poles, 210D PU coating oxford cloth waterproof bottom layer, sturdy 180T silver glue PU coating cloth windproof outside layer and 180T polyester breathable inside layer. Giving you a safe wild camping.
#9. Coleman Carlsbad 4 Person Tent
If you are looking for a tent that you can use even in broad daylight to take a nap, then the Coleman Carlbad model will be your best bet. This is because this tent uses Dark Room technology that helps to block as much as 97.5% of sunlight from passing through it. This technology also helps to keep the tent cooler during the day by blocking the sunlight. The tent also features a separate screen room for you to relax while enjoying the beauty of nature from inside.
This 4 person tent from Coleman will protect you from bugs and also keep you dry in torrential downpours, courtesy of a WeatherTec system with patented welded floors and inverted seams. It also has Awnings over the windows that serve the purpose of ventilating the tent quite well without letting any rain drop to sneak in.
When it comes to safety, this tent stands out from the rest as it features illuminating Guy lines that are clearly visible at night to ensure that you accidentally do not trip over them. Setting up the tent is quite easy using the continuous pole sleeves and the patented pin and ring system.
This Coleman Carlsbad model can also fit in two queen sized air mattresses and has enough room for four adults to sleep together. In addition to all these features, it also has storage pockets on the inside to optimize the floor space effectively.
- Dark Room technology blocks 97.5 percent of sunlight, so you can sleep in after sunrise
- Separate screen room offers bug free lounging
- WeatherTec system with patented welded floors and inverted seams to keep you dry
- Easy setup in only 15 minutes
- Measures 9 x 7 feet with 4 foot 11 inch center height; screen room measures 9 x 4 feet; Durable, Polyguard fabric is made to last season after season
Best 4 Person Tents Buying Guides
While most of the people who we interact with daily are avid outdoorsmen with more than a working knowledge of the way tents and other associated gear work, the readers may find it tough to make out which tent is the best for their use. So, we have devised this 4 person tent buying guide which takes care of all the important details which need to be considered when making the purchase.
How much a tent costs is often the first thing that many consumers think about before they complete the purchase. So, this is the first issue to consider. We recommend that you do some research before you come to the final purchase decision. Tents are a great way to ensure that you do not fall into the classic “Its costly and so it must be good” routine. Ideally, purchase a tent which is in the budget category, one which does not have too heavy a price tag.
When purchasing a tent, space is something that has dual meanings. While the first one is the inside space, the second one is how much space is taken by the tent when it is being pitched. Depending on the area where you are going for camping, you are likely to face some problems as space may ultimately run out. Before you go on the next camping trip, make sure that you have enough space to pitch it. If a tent has too big a footprint, the leakage will also start with earnest.
Set Up Time
How much time the tent takes to be erected is also something that must be considered. Imagine you are in a very wet climate and the tent takes too long to be pitched; it will be annoying as hell. So, before you go out into the open, we recommend that you do a little practice in your own backyard. Try tenting both alone and with a person assisting you. This will give you ample practice and will also inform you how easy it is to pitch it.
Portability is essential as you are going on a camping and hiking trip, which is serious business. Often, these tent manufacturers do claim that they are ultra-portable, which may or may not be the case. Hence, once again, you are encouraged to do some original research. For the sake of the reader, it must be made clear that not all the tents are equally portable. Make sure that you are using a tent which ideally comes with its own carrying case; this will help you in deciding which items must be taken in the backpack and which ones must be taken by hand.
Material and Construction
What the tent is made of is also something that needs to be considered. Often, we have seen that canvas tents are not chosen by the users for some reason. There is some irrational fear which must be dispensed with at once. Which is why we are making it easy for you: use tents which have waterproof materials. You can get all the details about the tent on their official websites. Be sure that you read ’em.
What is ideal for colder climates must not necessarily be good for wetter climates. Remember that if you are going to The Burning Man festival, you will be covered in dust no matter which tent you use. So, be very wary of the product that you are buying. Marketing strategies are often couched in language; do not fall for them.
Finally, we hope that whichever model out of this list of the best 4 person tents you decide to buy is worth every penny. Do not store the tent in the same space as your sharper objects like knives are placed; it might be punctured. Also, do not try and wash the tents without first referring to the washing instructions given by the manufacturer. you can also check best grow tents