Last Updated: 27th April 2020
In this article, I have listed the 11 best backpacking tents in 2020. Before moving to the list, let’s check the things you should consider while buying a backpacking tent for camping.
It would be better to know the kind of weather you will be camping in or the conditions you will be facing on your trek before actually deciding a tent.
You need to be clear about the size you need to buy. Most of the two-person tents would only fit two people with no extra elbow space or extra storage space.
So, it is wise to buy a tent of capacity more than your requirement.
You should choose the tent depending upon the kind of season you would be campaigning in.
It is advisable to buy a 3-season or 4-season backpacking tent as tents less than that are practically just a mosquito net.
Tent weight is not a big factor while buying the backpacking tent but you need to consider it.
If you need to hike to reach your campground then you should buy a tent that is lightweight and portable.
It is wise to have a tent that is easy to use or you should practice packing the tent after you buy it before going camping.
A tent that can be set up and take down easily can come handy on your long day of the trek.
Out Top Picked Backpacking Tents of 2020
MSR Hubba Hubba NX is one of the most popular tents in backpacking.
It is made up of 20-denier ripstop nylon / 15-denier nylon mesh and this 3-season, 2-person offers livable accommodations in a lightweight design.
Weight of this backpack is 3 lbs 5 oz and it packs down to 18X6 inches.
- 3-season, 2-person backpacking tent that offers the most livable accommodations in a lightweight freestanding design
- Pole geometry maximizes space with 29 sq. feet of floor area, interior peak height of 39 inches, plus 17. 5 sq. feet of vestibule area
- Complete setup weighs 3. 9 lbs. and packs down to 18x6 inches; minimalist setup option uses footprint, poles, and rainfly and weighs 3. 5 lbs.
- Includes DuraShield Coating and DAC Featherlike NFL poles
- Includes tent, one unified hub-and-pole system, rainfly, stakes, and guy lines; footprint sold separately; manufacturer’s 3-year limited
Nemo Hornet backpacking tent is an ultra-lightweight shelter with two large side doors.
It is made up of state-of-the-art fabrics and premium hardware and is most suitable for 1-2 person and 3 seasons.
Weight of this backpack is 2 lbs.
- THE ADVENTURER’S DREAM - The Dragonfly strikes the perfect balance of lightweight packability and livable comfort in a backpacking tent; Generous interior volume lets campers sit up and stretch, while bomber materials increase durability without weighing you down
- LIGHTWEIGHT & LIVABLE - The 2P model’s dual trapezoidal vestibules provides loads of space for dry gear storage with roll-back points for easy entry; Hubbed, pre-bent DAC Featherlite poles with high-arching main pole maximize volume at the head, peak, and foot ends; 2P model has a minimum weight of 2 lb 10 oz, a packed weight of 3 lb 2 oz, and packs down to 19.5 x 4.5 in dia
- WEATHERTIGHT & RUGGED - Integrated 20D Nylon tub provides an ultralight, waterproof floor; Premium 15D Nylon Ripstop fly is coated in a durable silicone repellent for reliable and durable weather protection; Canopy: 10D Nylon Ripstop & No-See-Um Mesh; Fly: 15D Sil/PeU Nylon Ripstop (1200 mm waterproof); Floor: 20D Sil/PeU Nylon Ripstop (1200 mm waterproof)
- PERKS & DETAILS - Protected strut vents release humidity during storms; Color-coded anodized poles and matched webbing for an intuitive set up; White No-See-Um Mesh on side panels adds privacy; Unique Divvy dual stage stuff sack makes it easy to divide the load with a partner; Diffusing Light Pockets turn your headlamp into a tent lantern
- LIFETIME WARRANTY - We strive to design and build the best outdoor equipment on the planet, obsessing over every detail; All NEMO products carry a lifetime warranty against defects in workmanship and materials to the original owner, with proof of purchase from an authorized NEMO dealer
Agnes Copper Spur backpacking tent is made up of ripstop nylon with high tear strength. This is a 3-season, free-standing design with dual-zipper doors
Weight of this backpack is 1 lb 15 oz.
- AWARD-WINNING COMFORT - Based on the features of our best-selling, award-winning Copper Spur ultralight tents, the Copper Spur HV UL features a high volume pole architecture that creates steeper walls and a roomier living space, while maintaining all the strength and lightweight packability the Copper Spur series is famous for
- A BETTER SHELTER - It’s not all about the volume; 2 large, dual-zipper doors with discrete seams allow for easy entry and smooth closure while creating a clean, modern design; Dual vestibules provide a combined area of 18 sq ft for dry gear storage; All seams taped with waterproof, solvent-free polyurethane tape (No PVC or VOC's); Fly and floor are ultra-durable with 1200mm waterproof rating
- ULTRALIGHT STRENGTH - 4-way, high-volume hub design increases strength by 25% and the useable interior volume by 20% compared to previous versions of the Copper Spur; Proprietary random rip-stop pattern nylon is 25% stronger, providing max durability; DAC Featherlite NFL and NSL pole system
- BELLS & WHISTLES - Storm flaps on both vestibule zippers; Massive ceiling pocket provides loads of storage; 5 interior mesh pockets & 2 media pockets; 8 superlight aluminum J stakes; Easy grip zipper pulls; Two-tone mesh provides privacy while allowing for star gazing transparency
- WARRANTY & SPECS (3P) - All Big Agnes products are guaranteed against manufacturing or material defect; If replacement product is not available credit will be given for the original purchase price when returned with a receipt; To extent the life of your tent floor, we recommend using a Big Agnes tent footprint (sold separately); Trail weight: 3 lb 7 oz; Packed weight: 3 lb 14 oz; Packed size: 4.5 x 20 in; Head height: 43 in; Floor Area: 41 sq ft
The Alps Mountaineering Lynx backpacking tent may not be the lightest one but it is the one that has value for money.
Here you get a decently roomy backpack tent with good weather protection.
Weight of this backpack is 4 lb 4 oz.
- There's no assembly frustration with our Lynx Tent series; this free-standing, aluminum two-pole design is a breeze to setup
- Polyester tent fly resists water and UV damage while adding two vestibules for extra storage space
- Fully equipped with #8 zippers, storage pockets, gear loft, stakes, guy ropes and two doorways
- The ALPS Mountaineering Lynx Tent is on our best sellers list; it’s a must-have for your next adventure
- Base Size: 7'6 x 8'6, Center Height: 52", Total Weight: 8 lbs. 10 oz., Minimum Weight: 7 lbs. 15 oz., Color: Clay/Rust
The Kelty Salida backpacking tent is heavy in weight like many other cheap tents.
Here you get a decent backpack friendly tent made of 68D Polyester and 68D Nylon with three season weather support.
good weather protection.
Weight of this backpack is 3 lb 14 oz.
- Backpack-friendly compact folding poles, Gearloft loops, Color coded clip and fly attachment.Wall material: 68D Polyester, 40D No-See-Um Mesh,Floor material: 68D Nylon, 1800 mm
- Roll top cube carry bag, Easy set up, Free standing, Fabric/mesh tent walls
- Kelty hug clip, Easy entry D door, Internal storage pockets, Fully seam taped construction
- Seasons: 3, Number of doors: 1, Number of vestibules: 1, Number of poles: 2, Capacity: 2
- Floor area: 30.5 ft² / 2.83 m², Vestibule area: 10 ft² / .93 m².Wall material: 68D Polyester, 40D No-See-Um Mesh,Floor material: 68D Nylon, 1800 mm
Also read – Best 4 person tents
The Kelty TN2 backpacking tent was awarded the 2014 backpacker magazine editors choice and the 2016 Outside magazine gear of the year award.
Here you do a great job of balancing price and quality of the tent with innovative design and spacious interior.
Weight of this backpack is 4 lb 9 oz.
- Updated Version of Kelty Salida Tent
- The tent measures 85” x 40” x 30”, giving you an interior area of 20. 6 square feet. The peak height is 36. 5 inches. There is a single vestibule protecting 6. 4 square feet of storage space.
- The two aluminum poles are pre-bent to create extra room inside the tent. Pockets at the corners of the tent keep one end of the pole secure as you move around to deal with the other end.
- The tent has a single door. The walls are No-see-um mesh and the floor is tough 68 denier fabric, water resistant to 1800 mm. Internal storage includes a ceiling pocket.
- The tent body is protected by a waterproof 68 denier rainfly. All seams are sealed to keep the water out. The freestanding design means you can pitch the tent and then move it around to find the best site.
The Marmot Tungsten 2P Backpacking Tent is for a budget-friendly price of $199.
It has 3-season build with durable fabrics and with a big sleeping area and extra headroom.
Weight of this backpack is 4 lb 13 oz.
- Blaze/Orange......NOT Green.......Amazon has incorrect image!
#8. Hyke & Byke Yosemite Backpacking Tents with Footprint – Lightweight Two Door Ultralight Dome Camping Tent
The Hype & Byke Yosemite Backpacking Tent comes with a lifetime warranty from the manufacturer and at a budget-friendly price of $110.
It comes with double doors which makes it easy to get in and out and plenty of space under doors to keep your shoes.
Weight of this backpack is 3 lb 2 oz.
- Replacement Rainfly for your Yosemite Backpacking Tent
Check out – Best 8 person tent in 2020
The North Face Mountain 25 Tent is tough and roomy tent suitable for 4-season.
This tent can be trusted in most inhospitable regions of the planet and is made up of time-tested fabric that thrives in tough conditions.
Weight of this backpack is 8 lb 13 oz.
- Single-door side entry Vaulted head area and footbox for maximum space Vertical side walls and dry entry Multiple mesh colors provide privacy without extra weight Multiple fly configurations let you tune breathability to current conditions Ample tabs for hanging headlamps, drying lines or gear lofts DAC poles and stakes provide an unparalleled strength-to-weight ratio Gear loft and footprint included
The Black Diamond Eldorado Tent is a lightweight and compact tent suitable for 4-season.
It is a time tested tent as it has been used on Everest expedition and been proven over decades of alpine use.
Weight of this backpack is 4 lb 8 oz.
- Material: 30D polyester
- Capacity: 3-person
- Season: 4-season
- Wall Type: single-wall
- Poles: 2.5
The Hilleberg Allak 2P Tent is a reasonable weight and quality material tent lightweight suitable for 4-season.
The tent is made up of premium material with a focus on small details like no other brand in the market.
Weight of this backpack is 6 lb 2 oz.
You would like to read – Best teepee tents for kids
If you are looking for lightweight tent the go for
- MSR Hubba Hubba NX 2-Person Lightweight Backpacking Tent
- Nemo Hornet Ultralight Backpacking Tent for 2
If you are looking for the best Budget Backpacking Tent then go for
- The Alps Mountaineering Lynx Backpacking Tent
- Kelty TraiLogic TN2 Backpacking Tent
Best Backpacking Tent for Multiple weather condition are
- Hilleberg Allak 2 Person Tent
- Black Diamond Eldorado Tent: 2-Person 4-Season